G-TECH Services, Inc. Mechanical Engineer - Intermediate - in Auburn Hills, Michigan
Hybrid & Automatic Transmission Application Engineer
The application engineer is responsible for managing all external interfaces between the transmission and the vehicle platform. This includes packaging and functional requirements. The application engineer utilizes the rest of the Chief Engineering and PRC organizations to drive decisions impacting the transmission.
● Manages the development of the Applications Matrix including all interface requirements for given programs including all variants and various vehicle platforms
● Coordinates packaging studies with each vehicle application to ensure all clearance requirements are met. Leads advanced vehicle adaptation design studies.
● Updates and coordinates approvals of International Product Spec releases
● Updates and coordinates approvals of owner’s manuals
● Updates and coordinates approvals of CP, Compliance Report Standards
● Negotiates requirements with vehicle platforms based on product limitations and capabilities
● Owns the Transmission Technical Specifications (TTS) and communicates application specific requirements to the team (i.e. max torque, NVH, FE, tire size, FDR selection, mass, etc)
● Defines and tracks adherence to robust vehicle level and system level/sub-system functional objectives
● Coordinates external design changes that require platform approval. Perform TOS as required.
● Coordination of application specific designs (torque converter, dampers, vents, LV & HV wire connections, bracket attachments, trans oil cooling, PIM and e-motor integration, etc) including controls & calibration strategies
● Represents chief organization on vehicle assembly plant requirements & events (i.e. supports pilot builds, EOL test, VIN marking, build issues, etc.). Development Manager leads vehicle assembly issues. AE supports.
● Leads Build Readiness tasks (instrumentation plan, dyno support)
● Coordinates COE assessments of bulletins and AT engineering response to bulletins
● Manage prototype hardware procurements and ED&D reqs
● Manage BRT (Build Readiness Team) for prototype orders
● Lead for shipping & receiving parts/transmissions for builds to/from suppliers
Requirements:* Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred). * Entry level Engineer will be considered a strong candidate, but prefer at least 2 years of experience on transmission or driveline components with OEM and/or tier 1/2 supplier. * Demonstrated working knowledge of Powertrain / Engine / Transmission operation and components. * Excellent written and verbal communication skills. * Excellent problem-solving skills. * Must be able to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously. * Some travel required to Supplier and Corporate Transmission / Vehicle Assembly Plants -- including Canada & Mexico.
● Working knowledge: Powertrain system adaptation into automotive vehicles. This can be through hands-on automotive mechanic experience, vehicle system durability testing, or transmission adaptation experience.
● General knowledge: Transmissions and driveline operation at a macro level.
● Thorough knowledge: Productivity software from Google and Microsoft.
● Comprehensive knowledge: Productivity software from Google and Microsoft.
● The candidate should be comfortable in the corporate office environment and be aware of the level professionalism that is expected.
Preferred Skills : * Green/black belt in Shainin or DFSS desirable. * CAE/CFD experiences on Powertrain structures * Hands-on involvement in the repair/modification of a vehicle, home or other technically complex project * Working knowledge of Casting and Injection Molding processes. * Knowledge of FCA Systems and/or products a plus -Experience with electric motors for automotive applications. -Experience with Design Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (DFMEA). -Experience with Design Verification Plan & Report (DVP&R) -Understanding of manufacturing and quality process of electric motors.
Category Product Engineering
Req ID JN -012023-119527