G-TECH Services, Inc. Welding Project Engineer in Orion Twp., Michigan
Welding Project Engineer
• Work with Manufacturing Architects, M.E. and P.I. to identify all welding special conditions
• Interface with Strategic Supplier to verify compliance to standards.
• Develop resources strategy for assigned launch.
• Obtain project approvals and funding, utilizing company systems and processes.
• Define/Execute program work testing in Labs and/or supplier facilities.
• Communicate Lessons learned during and on completion of launch.
• Support implementation of new technologies on programs through engineering phase, prototype builds and launch.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
• Work closely with ME Body Center and functional areas to define welding system requirements
• Assist in the integration, start-up and debug of plant floor welding equipment
• Coordinate business process and re-engineering projects
• Provide support during implementation phase at the plant
• Report as needed on status of systems at operating unit(s)
• Work closely with operating unit(s) on welding system to improve productivity, cost and quality
• Work with other engineers, skilled trades and managers to accomplish cross-functional projects, provide project cost and timing estimates, and support plant product program launches
• Good understanding of gas metal arc welding and resistance welding requirements
• Implement common welding systems
• Develop common welding specifications and standards
• Ability to read and understand CAD drawings of mechanical systems, wiring/hosing diagrams, and product designs
• Provide technical direction to suppliers and plant teams.
• Strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally
• Project Management Skills
• Thorough understanding of body shop equipment & processes
• High level of analytical and problem solving skills
• Strong verbal & written communication skills to support technology documentation and training requirements
• Ability to create & execute a well-organized validation project where standardized work is not available
• Ability to multitask by handling diverse assignments concurrently
• Knowledgeable with all standard computer programs (Microsoft Office, WebEx, Teamcenter, etc.) - Intermediate level
• Knowledge of weld verification procedures, weld documentation and build shop support
• Knowledge of robotic gas metal arc welding and resistance welding systems
• Body shop launch and plant experience
• Knowledge of Tooling and Equipment Troubleshooting
• Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems used in joining processes (weld controller, weld gun, servo, robot, riveting, projection welding, dispense, tip dressing, auto cap changer, laser)
• High level of practical problem solving – Red X
• Knowledge in drawn arc welding systems
• Knowledge in projection welded fastener systems
• Knowledge of Mechanical Joining Process – Flow Drill Screws, Self-Pierce Rivets, Clinching, Etc.
• Knowledge of CAD Programs (AutoCAD, Siemens NX, etc.)
• Knowledge of weld data systems (WIDS, WGVDT, Gateway, TPW)
• Knowledge of GM Welding & Joining Standards
• Travel required especially during execution phase of programs
• Pay for overtime policy varies with the business cycle, Launch requirements & Department policies
Education and Training:
• 4-year college degree in engineering or other manufacturing or equivalent experience
• 3-5 years of experience in manufacturing engineering/welding engineering, 5-10 years preferred
Req ID JN -062020-114274